We’ve started a list for the differences Germany vs. Australia. We will extend the list and correct it as we go. It will be translated as well. Author: Anja
Road & Traffic
- on the road the left side is the right side. To ensure your are on the right side, if you look out the driver window, there needs to be a road
- your traffic lights after the intersection
- Motorway, an entry does not mean there is an exist and other way round. Be prepared to drive a long way round if you get it wrong
- Motorway, you do overtake on both sides even if it is not legal. Thanks to people doing 90 km/h in all four lanes with 110 km/h speed limit. Yes, speed limit in Queensland is 110 km/h max.
- Dogs travel in free spirit on the back of ute’s
- Ute is not a female name, it is short for utility vehicle – a term used originally in Australia and New Zealand to describe usually two-wheel-drive, traditionally passenger vehicles with a cargo tray in the rear integrated with the passenger body
- at the petrol station you have to hold the bowser instead securing it, inhaling the fumes the whole time to catch cancer.
- every petrol stations sells different petrol, not all have 91, 95, 98, 100 or Diesel. Colour coding for different petrol? What is that?
- Two lanes round about are coming, however, the traffic rules depend on the site you enter or the size of your car
- Queensland driver DO NOT KNOW how to merge, Reisverschlussprinzip, what is that
- Parking spaces are twice the size compared to Germany
- First in goes last out, double parking behind each other is normal
- you need to careful that your hands do not melt to the steering wheel in summer
- you do not have any Fahrzeugschein to proof the ownership of your car
- you do not have your car checked ever, just when you want to sell it [Queensland]
Shopping & Restaurants
- please wait, you will be seated when you enter a restaurant. All good restaurant you wait at the door to get a table allocated by a waiter
- prepare for a long queue at the Coffee Drive Through
- shops are usually open 24/7 all year around with maybe three days closed
- you pay your 3 AUD per credit card pay wave
- you pay everything via credit card if you can afford it or not
- the friendly Sales Person at the shop calls you honey, sweetie or darling
- you get kicked out of a restaurant straight after you have finished your last bite of your meal. You can extend visiting time by a fraction when you order a dessert.
- there is no such thing as good chocolate
- alcohol is just available in stores called bottle shops [Queensland]
- houses do not have usually a door bell
- BBQ’s are done with gas, not real fire
- you paid a fine to have a water tank and solar system
- you have no idea what insulation for a house is
- you can just smoke in your house really
- you cannot enjoy alcohol in public
- you everybody’s „Mate“
- you have Vegemite and Weet-Bix for breakfast
- you need to keep your bread in the fridge, oh wait, there is no such thing as real bread
- you cannot survive without an fridge and freezer
- your house pool needs to be fenced off, because people can drawn in it. Wouldn’t it be better to have compulsory swimming lesson?
- you celebrate ANZAC Day, the Queens Birthday, even if it isn’t on her real birthday and Ekka Day
- the spiders visiting your home are the size of a dinner plate
- all the Australian Wildlife is visiting, which is deadly as
- same sticks in your garden may move and bite
- you have to be aware of the Drop Bear
- ants bite can kill you, I’m serious
- you open the cold tap and then the hot top to get cooler water
- you stay in doors because it is too hot outside
- you put your jacket on when you enter a building and off when you leave
- the Police threats you like you are still a convict
….. no worries, you will be right, mate!